Game Summary: Soccer |
GREENWOOD, SC — No. 17 Lenoir-Rhyne opened South Atlantic Conference play with a dominant win over Erskine on Saturday afternoon in the Bears’ first road game of the season. Kelly Parsons scored three hits and Dwayne McGee added two as LR won its SAC opener for the 9th time in the last 11 years.
IN THE MATCH:
Final: #17 Lenoir-Rhyne 42, Erskine 20
Registrations: Lenoir-Rhyne (2-1, 1-0 SAC), Erskine (2-1, 0-1 SAC)
Location: Greenwood, SC | JW Babb Stadium
• Zyheir Dillard would get the Bears on the board with 5:03 left in the first quarter on a 3-yard TD. It was Dillard’s second career rushing touchdown.
• McGee’s first TD of the game came on the Bears’ first drive of the second quarter, where the sophomore punched it in from three yards out.
• Sean White would hit Parsons for a 14-yard TD strike to put the Bears up 21-0 and Parsons would take a 45-yard touchdown to make it 28-0 at the break.
• McGee ran one for 29 yards to make it 35-0 before Erskine scored the second touchdown to make it 35-13.
• Parsons would squash any thoughts of a comeback for Erskine as he answered Erskine’s scores with a 66-yard catch and run to give LR a 42-13 advantage.
• White finished the day with a career-best 293 yards passing and went 20 of 33. He was sacked just once on the afternoon.
• LR rushed for 236 yards and 5.5 yards per carry with eight different players recording a rushing effort.
• Nine different players caught a pass in the game and Parsons finished with four catches for 91 yards.
• JP Palmer and Devin Hibbitt led the team with eight hits each.
• LR had a season-high 26 first downs with 13 coming through the air and 13 on the ground.
• Erskine managed just 52 yards on the ground on 19 attempts, good for a 2.7 average.
• LR gained 536 yards in the game and were whistled for only 2 penalties for 25 yards.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORES:
• LR’s sack streak reached 57 consecutive games as Zeke Nance AND Ezekiel Campbell each registered bag.
• This is the first meeting between LR and Erskine since 1 September 1951.
• The Bears topped the 40-point mark for the eighth time under Mike Jacobs.
• McGee reached 100 yards rushing for the 12th time in his career, second most in LR history during the NCAA era.
• Deondre Lester finished with 7 catches for 95 yards and extended his 1-catch streak to 20.
• The Bears are now 69-21 in SAC games since 2010.
• LR has won its last 47 games when scoring 40 points and is 26-14 with a loss.
• For the 112th time in the last 136 games, Lenoir-Rhyne has defeated its opponent. The Bears are 93-20 when rushing for yards.
NEXT: LR will be back at home on Saturday when it hosts Carson-Newman at 6 p.m