With one-piece skirts, classic pleats and subtle floral patterns, Byrdie’s head-to-toe golf gear is designed to take customers from the course to cocktail hour.
Why it matters: Byrdie is a homegrown brand that starts trends and sets new fashion standards in the world of golf. It has even attracted the attention of major fashion institutions such as Vogue and Elle.
- With thousands of golf fans flocking to Charlotte for the Presidents Cup this week (September 20-25), you’re likely to spot spectators in Byrdie gear at the Quail Hollow Club.
rollback: Charlotteans Rachelle Williams and Hayden Shoffner started Byrdie during the pandemic. “We were playing golf every day because it was the only thing to do during COVID-19,” Shoffner told Axios.
- They grew up on golf courses, but after spending more time on them in recent years, they noticed a lack of functionality in golf apparel.
- Byrdie’s clothes are designed so women can “go play 18 holes … and pack a kitten heel and throw it on for dinner,” Shoffner said.
Zoom in: Byrdie is a business dedicated to the education of Williams and Shoffner, from the name (a nod to Williams’ grandfather, nicknamed “Byrd”) to designs (inspired by clothes worn in old photographs of their grandmothers).
- “We both had very stylish grandmothers,” Shoffner said. “My grandmother always had red lipstick and big gold hoops on the golf course.”
What to expect: Modern takes on vintage designs like puff sleeves, floral patterns, Peter Pan collars and fun hats. Williams and Shoffner are deliberately moving away from long navy trousers and simple collared shirts that lean more on the sporty side of fashion.
- Some of their best selling items include the Hayden dress and the Caddy suit. Their fall line is inspired by the Presidents Cup and they hope to see spectators with the Byrdie Club rope hat.
- Prices range from $12 to $295 for socks, hats, polos, dresses, skirts and accessories and other apparel.
Where to buy: You can find Byrdie on their website and other online retailers like The Avenue, Over The Moon and Modatrova.
- Right now you can find Byrdie apparel at the Charlotte Country Club pro shop. In spring 2023, you’ll find Byrdie in pro shops nationwide.
- They have no plans to open a brick and mortar anytime soon, but you can make an appointment to try on the clothes at their Park Road Mall office via email: email@example.com.
- This Thursday they will have a trunk show and cocktail hour to celebrate the Presidents Cup. For the address, DM them on Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Zoom in: If vintage patterns and silhouettes aren’t your vibe, other local stores released Presidents Cup gear.
- 704 The shop has shirt for sale that will also be available at the tour.
- Glory Days Apparel released polo shirts and button down golf shirts available on their website.
Go deeper: A guide to the 2022 Presidents Cup in Charlotte