COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 7 Ohio State men’s gymnastics team travels to the Navy Open on Saturday at 2 p.m. ET in Halsey Fieldhouse. The meet will be streamed live on the Ohio State men’s gymnastics official Facebook page.
- Ohio State opened the 2023 season last weekend at the Windy City Invite, finishing third as a team with a score of 394.900.
- Six Buckeyes made their collegiate debuts, totaling nine of the 30 competed routines.
- Three returners earned career-high scores as Tyler Rockwood scored a 13.900 on parallel bars, Arthur Ashton earned a 13.250 on rings and Justin Ah Chow had a 13.100 on rings.
- The Buckeyes totaled four sticks during the meet with Jadon Roberson, Caden Spencer and Kazuki Hayashi sticking their high bar dismounts and Matthew Piekarski sticking his rings dismount.
- In December, Ohio State was selected by the Big Ten’s coaches to finish third in the conference this season.
- Senior captain Donovan Hewitt and junior Kameron Nelson were picked as Big Ten Gymnasts to watch prior to the start of the 2023 season.
- Following the 2021-22 season, Hewitt was named an Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar, a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar Athlete, an OSU Scholar Athlete and Academic All-Big Ten. Hewitt earned a spot on the All-Big Ten Second Team by finishing in a tie for third on rings (14.050) at the Big Ten Championships during individual competition.
- Nelson is the reigning Big Ten Vault Champion after earning a 14.800 to place himself on the All-Big Ten First Team. Following the conclusion of the 2021-22 season, Nelson was named Academic All-Big Ten and an OSU Scholar Athlete. Nelson also competed at the USA Gymnastics Championships this past summer.
- Hewitt, senior Luke Smigliani and junior Tyler Rockwood are this season’s team captains.
The Buckeyes’ first home meet is against Illinois on Feb. 11, beginning at 1 p.m. ET. Admission and parking are free to all regular-season home men’s gymnastics meets. Ohio State will host the 2023 Big Ten Championships on Friday, March 31 and Saturday, April 1.