If you have a remote worker or online freelancer in your life, you’ll typically find them working in front of a computer all day long. And although these types of jobs have several benefits, they also have drawbacks.
One such drawback is that these workers usually have to buy their own gear. And while there are times their client or employer would send them equipment, it sometimes doesn’t suit their needs.
Here are the best tech gifts online workers will love.
Being a remote worker means you can work from pretty much anywhere you want. However, this can be troublesome if you have to bring around a heavy laptop and a wireless dongle—this is where the iPad Pro comes in.
The Apple iPad Pro is a great choice for remote workers who want to travel while still getting things done at work. At just 1.5 pounds, the iPad Pro can easily slip into a bag and barely add any weight. Furthermore, accessories like the Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil will allow users to type much faster or be more precise in their movements. This makes it easier for remote workers to travel and work simultaneously.
Furthermore, the Wi-Fi + Cellular model will deliver a speedy internet connection anywhere with 5G coverage. That way, users can continue to work, even if there’s no available hotspot nearby. More than the hardware, the iPad’s operating system, iPadOS, offers a seamless experience, especially if you’re already familiar with, or have used a Mac.
With the Apple iPad Pro, many remote professionals can ditch their laptops and still get things done wherever they are.
- The most powerful tablet available on the market, courtesy of the Apple M1 chip
- All-day battery life lets you work and play for as long as you need
- USB-C Thunderbolt 4 port is perfect for transferring large files, charging, and using the iPad with a larger display
- Brand: Apple
- Storage: 128GB / 256GB / 512GB / 1TB / 2TB
- CPU: Apple M1
- Memory: 8GB / 16GB
- Operating System: iPadOS 15.5, upgradeable to iPadOS 16
- Battery: Non-removable 40.88 Wh Li-Po
- Ports: USB-C 4 (Thunderbolt 4)
- Camera (Rear, Front): 12MP wide, 10MP ultrawide, ToF 3D LiDAR Scanner, 12MP front camera
- Display (Size, Resolution): 12.9-inch 120Hz Liquid Retina XDR HDR10
- Size: 11.05 x 8.46 x 0.25 inches
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, Optional 5G
- Light and portable
- Optional 5G connectivity allows you to work even without Wi-Fi
- Works with several accessories that can transform the iPad into a powerful portable workstation
One of the things that hinder productivity for remote workers is a small display. After all, if you’re constantly switching between windows, you’ll spend unwanted time and effort refocusing your eyes to find the data you need.
While a multi-monitor display is ideal for productivity, it isn’t feasible at times. It could be because the desk is too small or the computer does not support multiple monitors. However, the LG UltraWide 34WK650-W solves those problems without costing an arm and a leg.
This ultrawide monitor gives remote workers a massive screen, allowing you to view multiple apps side-by-side while delivering excellent color accuracy. It’s also great for casual gaming with its 75Hz refresh rate, AMD FreeSync compatibility, minimal lag, and other gaming-focused features.
So, if you’re struggling to juggle multiple apps, this ultrawide monitor might just be what you need.
- Compatible with HDR10
- Covers 99% sRGB gamut
- Ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio lets you view apps side-by-side
- Brand: LG
- Resolution: 2560 x 1080 pixels
- Refresh Rate: 75Hz
- Screen Size: 34-inch
- Ports: 1x DisplayPort, 2x HDMI, 1x 3.5mm audio jack, 1x DC-in
- Display Technology: IPS
- Aspect Ratio: 21:9
- Equipped with AMD FreeSync technology
- Comes with built-in 5W stereo speakers with MaxxAudio
- Optional Reader Mode for easier reading
- Low maximum resolution for a wide monitor
A mouse is essential for any remote worker. After all, it’s one of the primary ways most people interact with their Macs and PCs. And while a computer mouse seems easy to use, if it’s the wrong size and shape, it could cause discomfort, pain, and even physical issues, like carpal tunnel syndrome, in the long run.
The Logitech MX Master 3 is perfectly-shaped to make it easy to use. Furthermore, it has several additional keys and features, like the thumb wheel, that let remote workers keep their most used functions at their fingertips. Even though these shortcuts only save a second or two, if you frequently use them, it’ll equate to more than a few minutes of saved time.
Best of all, it can connect simultaneously to three devices. That way, you don’t need to transfer dongles every time you use a different computer. Furthermore, its Flow cross-control feature lets you transfer files and photos seamlessly, thus simplifying your workflow even further. This feature makes it great for remote workers with two or more devices—like an office laptop and a home computer.
With the Logitech MX Master 3, remote workers can become masters of productivity, while simultaneously helping them avoid long-term physical problems.
- Perfectly-shaped for comfortable, all-day use
- Works on any surface, even glass
- Fully-charged mouse lasts up to 70 days
- Weight: 0.704oz
- Sensor: Darkfield Laser
- Wireless?: Yes
- Brand: Logitech
- Dimensions: 4.92 x 3.31 x 2.01 inches
- Battery: Built-in Li-Po
- Compatability: Windows / Mac / Linux
- Flow cross control allows seamless use between three computers
- Thumb wheel offers easy side-scrolling
- Profiles allow for app-specific custom controls
- Not suitable for left-handed users
Most online workers spend their entire day seated behind their computers. And while it’s highly recommended to move around at least five minutes in an hour, people tend to forget this, especially if they’re focused on their work.
But with the Vari Electric Standing Desk, remote workers could now switch between sitting down and standing up while working with a press of a button. And with its four programmable settings, two people can save their seated and standing positions—useful especially if the remote worker is your partner and you want to occasionally use their desk.
If you care for your physical health, the Vari Electric Standing Desk will do you well, especially for extended working hours behind the PC.
- Comes with four programmable height settings
- Uses a solid one-piece tabletop
- T-style legs provide a stable base
- Brand: Vari
- Lifting Mechanism: Single electric motor (48 x 24 inches), Dual electric motors (48 x 30 inches)
- Maximum Load: 220lbs
- Colors: Black, Butcher Block, Dark Wood, Hazel Wood, Reclaimed Wood, White
- Desktop Size: 48 x 24 inches, 48 x 30 inches
- Choice between 27.5 to 47.2 inches or 25 to 50.5 inches of desk height
- Smooth motorized operation
- Easy to assemble
- Desktop and legs are shipped separately
Vari Electric Standing Desk
For some remote workers, it’s crucial to focus entirely on getting things done. However, it’s not uncommon to get distracted if you’re not in your own office. But with the Sony WH-1000XM5, you can bring the silence of the office with you, wherever you are.
That’s because the Sony WH-1000XM5 offers class-leading noise cancelation, allowing you to focus on the task at hand. With Sony’s proprietary noise-canceling tech, users can isolate themselves from the world when they have these headphones on.
It also has the Auto NC Optimizer feature, allowing the device to adjust its noise cancelation capabilities automatically, depending on your environment. This ensures you the best sound quality while simultaneously scrubbing out unwanted ambient sounds.
The headphones are also light and comfortable, allowing you to wear the Sony WH-1000XM5 for extended work periods without straining the head and neck. Beyond that, they also boast fantastic sound quality and a sleek and stylish design. Best of all, its extended 30-hour battery life ensures that the headphones won’t die while they’re in the middle of focused work.
- Auto Noise Cancelling Optimizer ensures you get the right amount of ANC based on your environment
- Integrated V1 Processor ensures maximum listening quality
- Lasts up to 30 hours on a single charge
- Brand: Sony
- Battery Life: Up to 30 hours
- Material: Leather and plastic
- Bluetooth: 5.2
- Noise Cancellation: ANC
- Waterproof: No
- Microphones: Yes
- Weight: 0.55lbs
- Colors: Platinum Silver, Black
- Supported codecs: SBC, AAC, LDAC
- Folding/Storage: Carrying Case
- Charging: USB-C
- Intuitive touch control settings
- Instant pause/play automatically stops and resumes your music when you remove and put on your headphones
- Captures your voice clearly
- Somewhat bulky and not as portable as TWS earbuds
As more people work remotely, it soon becomes apparent that videoconferencing will be a daily part of this life. And although most laptops come with a built-in webcam, and you could buy affordable webcams for desktop computers, they usually come with poor quality. This makes the person in front of the camera appear blurry to the people you’re talking with on the other side of the screen.
But with the OBSBOT Tiny 4K AI PTZ Webcam, you’ll get a high-quality 4K stream that ensures your picture is sharp and clear to the people you’re meeting. Furthermore, it uses advanced AI processing to ensure that you are always in the frame, in focus, and with the right color balance, ensuring you appear as realistic as possible.
Beyond that, the OBSBOT Tiny 4K AI PTZ Webcam can also be controlled via hand gestures. So, even if you are away from your keyboard and mouse, you can control it so that it’ll point to where you want it. And once you’re done with your meetings, you could simply point the camera towards its base, and it’ll stop capturing both audio and video for privacy.
- Captures 4K video using a Sony 1/2.8-inch sensor
- Uses AI tracking to ensure the subject is always in-frame and in-focus
- Can be controlled using hand gestures to ensure smooth and continuous presentations
- Brand: OBSBOT
- Resolution: Up to 3840 x 2160 (4K)
- Rotation: 150 degrees
- Wide Angle Lens: 90 degrees
- Connection: USB-C, USB-C to USB-A adapter, USB-A to DC Power Cable
- Integrated Lighting: N/A
- Mounting: Magnetic mount, UNC 1/4-20
- Compatibility: Windows, Mac
- HDR and AI auto exposure ensures a professional look
- Built-in omnidirectional microphones capture your voice clearly
- Sleep mode disables audio and video input to ensure privacy
OBSBOT Tiny 4K AI PTZ Webcam
While you may think that an ordinary keyboard would suffice for a remote worker’s needs, the mechanical keyboard’s feel, durability, and aesthetics will go a long way toward increasing productivity.
And if you’re looking for a mechanical keyboard you can use in a professional setting, then you should pick the Keychron K10 Wireless. Its subtle design makes it easy to blend in a corporate office, allowing you to use it at home or in the office. Furthermore, it uses tactile keys that make typing feel good while remaining silent enough not to disturb your colleagues.
Since the Keychron K10 Wireless uses standard parts, it’s also easy to customize its keycaps and switches. And for additional comfort, you can also throw in a wrist rest with the keyboard to reduce pressure on your wrists.
- Connects with up to three Bluetooth devices with easy switching between them
- Uses tactile Gateron G Pro brown switches
- N-key rollover (NKRO) when wired, 6KRO when used wirelessly
- Brand: Keychron
- Wireless: Bluetooth 5.1
- Backlight: RGB
- Media Controls: Yes
- Battery: 4000mAh
- Num Pad: Yes
- Switch Type: Gateron G Pro Brown mechanical switches
- Replaceable Keys: Yes
- Number of Keys: 104
- Compatible Devices: Windows / Mac
- Keyboard Description: 104 Keys Wireless Mechanical Keyboard
- Wired operation: Yes
- Dimensions: 18.25 x 7 x 2 inches
- Weight : 3.34lbs
- Includes keycaps for both Mac and Windows
- Made with a premium aluminum frame
- With built-in RGB backlight
- Uses bland gray keycap colors
Q: What Technologies Are Needed to Work From Home?
If you’re interested in working remotely, you need two basic things—a computer with a webcam and microphone and an internet connection. However, these are the bare minimum requirements.
If you want to work more efficiently while avoiding physical health risks, you should consider investing in a range of gadgets, from standing desks to noise-canceling headphones.
Q: Do Remote Jobs Provide a Computer?
It depends on the company you’re working for. While most major companies will provide a computer or laptop to remote employees, many smaller businesses will require you to use your own equipment. But if you’re a freelancer, then you definitely need to provide your own gear.
But aside from that, most remote positions only provide the bare minimum to get things done. Remote workers who wants to care for their health must get ergonomic equipment on their own dime.