To get TechCrunch’s biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3pm PST; Register here.
Happy Thursday, landlubbers and salty sea dogs!
We’ve got some exciting updates from the events team – Lauren S has announced the TechCrunch Early Stage Audience Choice winners. And if you’re all starry-eyed and bushwhacked at the chance to be on stage at TechCrunch Disrupt for our annual battleground, you’re in luck – Nisha TechCrunch Startup Battlefield Announces 200 Applications Open! – Christine And came
TechCrunch’s Top 3
- Voicing videos: MrBeast was one of the first YouTubers to try out a new multilingual audio feature now rolling out to creators that lets you upload just one video and have it dubbed in dozens of languages. Sarah It has more.
- Did you hear it?Samsung wants you to have that crystal-clear smartphone connection where there’s no cellular network connection, so it’s developed its own satellite-based solution. Ivan He wrote.
- “Cities” hall cry: Taylor Houseparty founder Ben Rubin writes about Towns, a new open source group chat app. Built as a decentralized app, it allows people to “literally own town squares” and “build the best hometowns on the Internet.”
Startups and VCs
While most VCs will tell you they’ve had no trouble raising the new funding, Licensing co-founder Larry Cheng — a partner at Bessemer Venture Partners, Battery Partners and Fidelity Ventures — says that wasn’t his experience when trying to raise the firm’s latest vehicle. . “All the LPs were more restrained; we could hear them,” he reported Connie.
The cloud is getting expensive. More than half of companies say spending on public cloud applications will increase in 2023, and 56% expect their public cloud infrastructure spending to increase this year. ProsperOps has raised $72 million in grants Kyle Reports.
And we have five more for you:
Is ocean conservation the next climate technology? 7 investors explain why they all got in
Marine industries such as fishing and oil exploration are inherently manufacturing, but technological advances and increased environmental awareness have ushered in a new era.
“Founders and investors are beginning to look for opportunities to conserve and even improve the ocean’s resources rather than exploit them,” reports Tim de Chant.
He interviewed seven investors to explore some of the parallels between climate technology and ocean conservation technology, and to learn more about the opportunities they present.
- Tim Agnew, General Partner, Bold Ocean Ventures
- Peter Bryant, Program Director (Oceans), Builders Initiative
- Kate Danaher, Managing Director (Oceans and Seafood), S2G Ventures
- Daniela V. Fernandez, Founder and CEO, Sustainable Ocean Alliance (Seabird Ventures)
- Rita Sosa, Partner, Faber Ventures
- Christian Lim, Managing Director, SWEN Blue Ocean Partners
- Reece Pacheco, Partner, Propeller
Three more from the TC+ team:
TechCrunch+ Our membership program helps founders and startup teams stay ahead of the pack. You can register here.. Use code “DC” for 15% off annual subscription!
Big Tech Inc.
Did you know that the average household subscribes to five streaming services per month? No doubt this can add up quickly. Netflix has read the writing on the wall and slashed its prices in more than 100 territories in Africa, Europe, Latin America and Asia Pacific for subscribers to… sign up, Lauren He wrote.
Developers of decentralized applications have a new friend in Coinbase, which launched Base, an Ethereum-centric layer to aid the development of applications on the blockchain. Jacqueline It has more.
And we have five more for you: