There can only be one major reason why you want to hard reset your MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or other Mac device. Your device is very old and outdated with broken software or you might want to sell it. For both reasons, one may want to find a way to hard reset or factory reset the MacBook to remove all personal data before removing it.
If you want to know, let me walk you through a step-by-step process on how to hard reset a MacBook Pro or any other Mac.
How to Restore Macbook Pro?
Below are the instructions and steps to bring your MacBook Pro and any other MacBook back to like-new condition. These steps work with the latest macOS Big Sur and other recent macOS operating systems.
Follow the steps mentioned below to know how to hard reset MacBook.
- Turn on the MacBook by holding down the Command and R keys. Release the buttons when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- The screen will ask you to select your desired language. Select and continue.
- Select Disk Utility and click Continue.
- Select Start-up Disk (Macintosh HD) and click the Delete option.
- After the disk is erased, select MacOS Extended (Journaled) from the drop-down menu and click Delete.
- Next, select GUID partition mapping.
- Click Delete and click Done to exit the window.
- Connect to WiFi when the MacBook is turned on.
- In the main menu, click Reinstall macOS and Continue.
- A popup will appear, press continue again. > Terms and Conditions page will pop up, click I agree.
- Select the boot disk, click on Install.
- Wait for the installation to start, this may take a few minutes.
- The MacBook will restart twice and continue to reinstall.
Voila! After giving us the necessary time, your MacBook will reboot like new. You can sign in to your services and start installing the desired apps on your MacBook. It works just as fast and better as before.
However, be sure to back up your personal data to the hard drive before you factory reset your MacBook because it will erase the utility disk during the hard reset process. If you don’t take a backup, you will surely lose all your data.